Basic Peanut Loaf Recipe
1 ½ cups peanut butter
1 cup hot water
15 oz can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons dried minced green onions
- Brown flour lightly until golden brown. Do not over brown. It will taste bad if its burned.
- Heat peanut butter in microwave until it takes on a thinner consistency. Blend together water and peanut butter. Add tomato sauce, salt and minced green onions and blend until smooth in food processor or blender.
- Pour into 3 well-buttered 15 ounce cans. You can use cooking spray. Cover cans with aluminum foil and steam on low heat in a large covered kettle on a rack for 3+ hours with 2-3 inches of water at the bottom of the kettle at all times.
- After they are cooked, cool the cans on the counter and then the refrigerator until they are completely cool. Release the edges with a knife. Then the nut loaf can slip out of the cans. You might have to shake the cans a little to get the nut loaf out.
Peanut Loaf in Italian Sauce Recipe
½ fennel bulb, chopped (or you can use onion)
1 teaspoon olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried minced green onion
½ teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon sugar or maple syrup (optional)
- Chop half of a fennel bulb. In small saucepan, sauté the chopped fennel and salt in the olive oil until the fennel is soft.
- Meanwhile, slice the peanut loaf into ¼ inch slices and fry in a non-stick pan in a small amount of olive oil until it is golden brown and crispy on both sides.
- Add the rest of the seasonings to the fennel and saute for a minute more. Add tomato sauce and sweetener if you choose to use it and heat through.
- Pour the fennel/tomato sauce mixture over the crispy nut loaf.